Based in Orlando, Florida
February 10, 2015
Press / Business contact:
14009 Lake Magdalene Blvd.
Tampa, Florida 33618
United States of America
Blacksea Odyssey is a violent top-down rogue-lite space shoot ‘em up RPG brimming with colossal creatures and runic technologies. Explore dangerous, interstellar spacescapes as you hunt enormous space-behemoths with a harpoon and rune-infused spears.
HistoryABOUT BLACKSEA ODYSSEY
Once a decade, the greatest huntsmen in the universe gather to compete in a legendary tournament known as the Blacksea Odyssey. Steeped in blood, ancient treasures, and a madness that wills them to delve deeper into the black abyss, these huntsman compete for a chance to claim the ultimate glory of facing a creature of such insatiable ferocity and magnanimous size that its wingspan has been said to stretch across galaxies while it’s breath consumes black holes. A creature rumored to exist only in legend, the Titan of the Stars!FEATURES Rip Apart Enemies Piece by Piece
Eviscerate enemy creatures by ripping them apart with your harpoon.Fully Destructible Everything
Blast through fully destructible environments with your spear or harpoon.Twitch based Action-Packed Combat
Reminiscent of classic top-down shooters mixed with modern RPG and rogue-like mechanics.Hardcore Rogue-like Elements
Featuring permadeath, procedural levels, and incredible replayability.Massive Bosses
Battle against colossally scaled bosses dwarfing several screen sizes.Expansive Customization System
Forge millions of runic modifications for your spear and space-board.EARLY HISTORY
Blacksea Odyssey, LLC is an American independent game studio based in Orlando, Florida. The team consists of University of Central Florida graduates Peter Milko, Percy Legendre IV, and Sean Pinnock. The studio was founded in 2015 after they graduated from the University of Central Florida where they studied game design and development together. They teamed up at the Global Game Jam 2015 where they first prototyped the concept for Blacksea Odyssey, a multi-directional space shoot ‘em up inspired by the classic arcade game Asteroids and the novel The Old Man and the Sea. The simple prototype received positive feedback from the local community and the team decided to pursue the idea. The team has been working on Blacksea Odyssey full time since May 2015. In October, they released a free Alpha Demo for Blacksea Odyssey that generated over 6,500 downloads. The following month, they launched a Kickstarter campaign that raised $12,300. Blacksea Odyssey Steam Early Access launched on March 2nd, and the team continues to update the game each week.
Launch Trailer (download link below under "Additional Links") YouTube
There are far more images available for Blacksea Odyssey, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "If it [the player’s harpoon] strikes its target however, it’s satisfying to then wrench it back out, pulling a fin or a jawbone with it."
- Graham Smith, Editor-in-chief, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "I love how the harpoon can tear off huge chunks of enemies and send them drifting off into space."
- Ben Davis, Destructoid
- "Space-whaling with total badasses on space-bikes chasing after the vicious space-fishies who will spike and claw you to space-shreds if you let up for even a second? Now that’s a proper challenge!"
- James Cunningham, Hardcore Gamer
- "You surf on a missile and use a harpoon to rip limbs off of giant space monsters in Blacksea Odyssey. If that doesn't pique your interest, then I don't know what will."
- Joel Couture, Indie Games
- "The harpoon, is remarkably gory with space blood spraying out of your prey..."
- Corina Dee, Alpha Beta Gamer
- "Hemingway may have been onto something with The Old Man and the Sea. Namely, that whole “man vs. nature” thing. However, it might be more entertaining if it was set in space, and the old man had cybernetics, and he was hunting massive space creatures for competition. Blacksea Odyssey gives players just that."
- Evan Spadaccini, Indie Game Magazine
Download video files as zip: BlackseaOdyssey.com.
Team & Repeating Collaborator
Art Director, Designer
Percy Legendre IV
Technical Director, Designer